Before cessation of your birth control, we encourage a pre-pregnancy consultation if you are planning to become pregnant. It is normal to have questions. If you just found out you are pregnant, there are many responses you may have. Excitement, joy, fear and maybe even some anxiety. Talking to you and preparing you during your pregnancy for your delivery have always been a great strength in this clinic.
There have been great improvements in the medical field to ensure the health and well being of every delivery. Modern medicine practices have reduced the discomforts and dangers of pregnancy throughout years of technological advances and research. Although most pregnancies will proceed normally, it's important to know that every pregnancy poses some degree of risk. Assessing the risk on an ongoing basis is a central part of prenatal. Make sure to schedule an appointment as soon as you know you you are pregnant. While no two pregnancies are exactly the same, our prenatal care will preprare you for the path to a healthy delivery.
• Swollen breasts
• Food cravings
• Absence of menstruation
• Implantation bleeding (6-10 days after conception)
• Frequent urination
• Darkening of the areolas (the skin around the nipple)
Once we have confirmed that you are pregnant, we work with you to ensure your health as well as your baby's health. Closely monitoring high-risk pregnancies is one of our top priorities and we take it very seriously.
Your first visit to confirm your pregnancy will usually include a history and physical, pap smear, labs drawn, and a scheduled visit with our sonographer. We prefer to see you between 7-10 weeks from the first day of your last menstrual period. Be sure to contact us so no steps in your prenatal care are missed.
Your visits will include 2-D/4-D Ultrasound, the latest in sonogram technology.
• The average length of pregnancy is 280 days, or 40 weeks from the first day of the last menstrual period.
• A full term pregnancy can last anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks gestation.
• The estimated date of delivery can be estimated by taking the date your last menstrual period began, then adding 7 days and counting back 3 months. We will use an instrument called an obstetrical wheel to calculate your exact date during your first visit. Often we will schedule an early ultrasound to confirm your pregnancy and the estimated date of delivery.
• Ultrasound scans done within the first 13 weeks of pregnancy are excellent at diagnosing your baby’s age, possibility of twins, and ruling out potential miscarriages. We are also able to perform a special ultrasound, Nuchal Translucency scan, which combines with blood hormone levels to help us evaluate the fetus for possible chromosomal abnormalities.
If you have any questions about your pregnancy, or are not sure if you are pregnant, give us a call or contact us here.
Return to Services
"Dr. Cowart and staff,
There are numerous doctors' offices throughout the metroplex, but none as special and caring as yours. Throughout our journey to conceive, your caring and compassionate nature comforted us in even our hardest times. You encouraged us to continue trying, and to never give up hope even when we felt as if we were fighting an uphill battle."
"Whenever we walked into your office, seeing all of your smiling faces helped lift us up, no matter how hard we had fallen. You made us feel like family, and let me reiterate such is not the norm. My wife and I would like to sincerely thank you for investing your time, feelings, love, and trust to us. Every day when we see our beautiful baby, we are reminded of the people who made it all possible. You are a great group of people and we love you all. Thank you!"
"Dr Cowart & staff are helpful, kind, supportive, attentive and lively fun bunch. Oh yea, professional attitudes are the best. -L Slider"
LakeView Women's Healthcare Associates are proud to be partners with Lake Pointe Medical Center and Baylor Surgicare at North Dallas. Providing female health care and family planning in Rockwall & Rowlett Texas.